Thursday, March 19, 2009

Blue in the face

Close call around here... I was getting ready for work and the kids were just playing when I heard the kids yelling my name. I'm in the master bath with the blow dryer on when in walks Ellie with fear in her eyes, a purple face slowly turning blue, more blue by the second with her hands around her neck. I asked her what happened but she couldn't talk, she just kinda barked like a choking dog, when she took her hands off her neck and showed me what was wrong. PANIC struck me so fast.... all I could think was 'shit, my kid is gonna die! call 911, call 911' in my head. I grabbed her and screamed to get her to the garage so we could use some snips to cut off this contraption she had around her neck. It was a little helpful garage tool... a glorified zip tie of sorts used to hold the electrical cords together neatly. Picture a plastic handcuff mixed with a zip tie. I was under the impression that it had to go all the way around to get loose. Well Jackson comes running in and says 'just undo it! take it off!' And I tried to explain to him that its caught and I can't get it off. While Ellies lips are turning BLUE. Jackson grabs her neck and gives it a squeeze and UNHOOKS the stupid thing temporarily choking her. And pulls it off her neck. I was so relieved and scared, I smacked her but and then held her in my arms for about 15 minutes yelling at her how stupid that was!!! crying the whole time.

So please. remind your kids that its NEVER ok to put ANYTHING around their necks.

7 comments:

Lesa said...

Holy FLIP!!! that is soo scary. I can barely breath.My friend was just telling me today about a different friend who just lost her 2 year old. The mother had given her daughter some apples on in the car on the way home from church and she choked on them and she died. So sad. We were talking about how hard our 2 year olds are right now, and we concluded with... better to have them here and hard rather than not have them hear. Hug Ellie for me, and kick her in the but too!!!

Jaime Miller said...

Oh my heavens Michelle. I hope she is ok. Choking is one one of my biggest fears! I still find myself checking my kids at night to make sure they didn't go to bed with something in their mouth. I am glad she is ok.

Solomon and Lyndsie said...

Oh Michelle, I am so glad she is okay! Hopefully she never does anything stupid like that again. Give her our love!

Joni_rt said...

Hi Michelle, gladd to hear everything turned out ok :)
I am in the planning stages of a "Literacy Night" for the WCSD. We are planning it for Town Square on April 30th tentatively from 4 to 6. Would you and your next door neighbor (jaime) be interested in helping us (voluntarily) with a photo/family portrait booth?

Also, would you be interested in doing a couple of workshops on photography for the kids enrolled in our after school programs? This could be a paid gig... What would you charge?

Michelle and those Kids said...

I would like to get more info on the workshops, and I would be fine with the family photo boothe I think. I would like more info on that too. If you wouldn't mind, email me at oldcrowphoto@gmail.com and I will get my list of questions for you! Thanks for thinking of me!

Alisha said...

scary! Thank goodness for Jackson! It's amazing how your instincts really kick in at those moments. I'm glad she survived.

Denice said...

Holy crap!!! I am SO glad she is OK..I can't even imagine how scary that must have been! Give her a another smack and then a love for me too! :)